Become a C.O.R.E.-group supporter
Visit the 'Orsten' "fan" corner
Get a PDF of the 'Orsten' broschure in English (4.6 MB)
The Center of 'Orsten' Research and Exploration (= C.O.R.E.) in Ulm and the international C.O.R.E. Group were founded in 2005. In the meantime the CORE Group has increased to 40 members from no less than 8 countries from 4 continents plus Japan (go to member list above).
Our main issue is the concentration of expertise about the 'Orsten' and its fossils, the sites in which these occur, and related topics, last but not least the dissemination of information on the 'Orsten'.
To serve these purposes we have a discussion list for the members and created this website with simple tools, so not as perfect as others. Yet we try to add more items continuously and to correct and update the content as regular as possible.
At present we still have some bias on information about the Swedish 'Orsten' lagerstätten, but we hope to add more from other 'Orsten' fossiles sites, such as in China, the UK (Comley), Poland, and Australia progressively. The localities from these countries contribute not only significantly to our knowledge about and around the 'Orsten' not only by adding different species, but they also add to our knowledge about other things like lithological, perservational and taphonomical issues. And they expanded the time frame of 'Orsten' occurrences considerably. Lastly, and of course, the fossils from the new localities helped to improve and widen our evolutionary interpretations significantly.
See, e.g., papers from 2007, published in Nature in 2007, from 2010, published in Current Biology, or recently the papers by Maeda et al. 2011, by Terfelt and Eriksson in 2012 or papers by our Chinese colleagues from 2012 and 2013 (link to Publications above).
We also try to update our list of references on the 'Orsten' etc. regularly, one big list and also separate ones for papers of members. Most publications on the Orsten are available as PDF, and also several papers from the CORE members; otherwise pick their email address from the Contacts page (above) and ask them directly for PDFs. We laso have listed all papers by the founder Klaus J. Müller, most again also available as PDFs.
About the 'Orsten' as such click here
About our Research on the 'Orsten'
- Orstenies became 3rd at the 5th outdoor fistball tournament in Ulm June 29, 2013
- Orstenies became 3rd at the 14th indoors tournament in Burlafingen April 21, 2013
- Orstenies became 2nd at the 4th outdoor fistball tournament in Ulm July 14, 2012
- Orstenies became only 7th at the 13th fistball tournament in Burlafingen January 14, 2012
- Orstenies won the 3rd outdoors fistball tournament in Ulm July 16, 2011
- Orstenies won the 11th fistball tournament in Burlafingen April 2010: first win in this tournament
- Orstenies became 5th at the 2st outdoor fistball tournament in Ulm July 18, 2009
- Orstenies became 3rd at the 10th indoors fistball tournament in Burlafingen March 8, 2009
- Orstenies became 2nd at the 1st outdoor fistball tournament in Ulm July 19, 2008
- Orstenies became 9th at the 9th indoors fistball tournament in Burlafingen March 2nd, 2008
On March 12, 2010 our dearest colleague, friend, Klaus J. Müller, the discoverer of the Orsten, had passed away, age 87.
Until last, Klaus was interested in many things and was even working hard on a book on gemstones, his main and long-lasting hobby over the past. We all benefitted very much from Klaus' great scientific work and likewise knowledge, and we are very grateful that he could have been around supporting us for so long.
Thank you so much, Klaus, for a wonderful time together and the topic you provided us with!